Brake shoes are too big?

Rahmen, Federn, Querlenker, Bremsanlage, Haupt- und Radbremszylinder, Handbremse, Reifen, Umbau

Moderator: ZWF-Adminis

AlteSchwede
Schlauchband-Polierer
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): Wartburg 353W - 1986

Brake shoes are too big?

Ungelesener Beitragvon AlteSchwede » Samstag 16. Juni 2018, 20:13

I have spent hours today replacing the wheel cylinders and brake shoes (Bremsbacken) on my 1986 353. No matter how I do it the new brake shoes seem to have a diameter too big. I can not put the brake drum back on. I finally left the new wheel cylinder in position and put the old brake shoes back on the car and then I could put the drum back on. Is this a known problem or is it just me being an amateur? [smilie=hi ya!.gif]

frankyracing
Ölmischer
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): 311. What else?
353. So what...
Gruppe / Verein: AME - Automobilbau Museum Eisenach

Re: Brake shoes are too big?

Ungelesener Beitragvon frankyracing » Samstag 16. Juni 2018, 21:58

......these are the small secrets of these cars :shock: ...you should put a bevel (5-10 mm) on both ends of the brake lining.

Normally, it should work after doing that.

Please have attention, that the holes for the adjusting pin, are without any razor or sharp edges.
This could be also happen at todays replacment parts and obstructs the correct fitting. [smilie=hi ya!.gif]

Cheers [Bier]

Frank
...fährst Du quer, siehst Du mehr...

www.kurbelwellen-richter.de

AlteSchwede
Schlauchband-Polierer

Ungelesener Beitragvon AlteSchwede » Samstag 16. Juni 2018, 22:57

Thank you Frank. I will try with bevels. The adjusting mechanisms seem to be in perfect condition. Hopefully I will be able to give it another try tomorrow. I hurt my back today so maybe I'll have to wait for a few days. I will report back when I have fitted the new brake shoes successfully. Cheers [Bier]

brummbaer
Schleifstein
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): Wartburg 353

Ungelesener Beitragvon brummbaer » Sonntag 17. Juni 2018, 15:55

Hi
I think you are right. The brake drums don t fit after changing the brakeshoes.
Reason: There are some brakeshoes on the market which are built without correct diameters from AWE. The base radiuis is o.k. , but a lot of other dimentions are wrong.
So: Take an old one and the same from the newes and look exactly. You will find the mistakes.
One of the mistakes is on my mind in this moment: the slot for the spreader is in all cases not deep enough, so the shoes don t come together enough. The scope is too big to fit the drum.
You can fix this. Take a file or careful a flex and make the slot deeper. Make this till the shoes come together like the old ones.
But look closely, may bee there are other mistakes too.(So as on mine)
I make the whole thing by myselfes, but it s some times ago.
At last. I m sure you can adjust with normal tools.
Good luck
Reiner

Wartburgbauer
Abschmiernippel
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): 190er Benz 1988 (Alltagsauto)
Jawa 555 1959 (Alltagsmoped)
Wartburg 312 Camping 1967
B1000 Bus im Aufbau

Ungelesener Beitragvon Wartburgbauer » Sonntag 17. Juni 2018, 20:29

I do not buy those brake schoes any more. In some citys, there are shops, where you can bring your old ones and get new material on it. Those bad-fitting shoes from (usually) hungary are not sooo much cheaper than making new material on the old shoes. And you support lokal workers!
Suche ständig Schrauben M8 Schlüsselweite 14 und frühe ESKA-Schrauben!
Mein erstes Projekt: Der Camping!
Mein Barkas Bus im Aufbau

AlteSchwede
Schlauchband-Polierer

Ungelesener Beitragvon AlteSchwede » Mittwoch 20. Juni 2018, 21:29

Thank you Reiner. I haven't tried to do anything to get the brakes sorted since I hurt my back. Now I am starting to feel better so next week I will hopefully be able to tackle this problem again. What you write, Reiner, is interesting. I will start by carefully comparing the old and new brake shoes and I will adjust them if needed. If the new brake shoes look okay I will go with what frankyracing says and put a bevel on the ends of the brake linings. Grüsse aus Schweden.

AlteSchwede
Schlauchband-Polierer

Ungelesener Beitragvon AlteSchwede » Montag 25. Juni 2018, 20:45

Thank you all for your help. Now my 353 is alive again. I started working on the left side and had to use the file quite a lot since the brake shoes didn't come together enough at the lower base. Once I got that sorted everything went in place beautifully. Then I started working on the right side thinking I would have to do the same procedure once again. Everything fitted perfectly without any adjustments. Strange. [smilie=hi ya!.gif] I don't know if my new brake shoes were made in Hungary or somewhere else. I bought them off ebay from a company in Arnstadt. Wartburgbauer: Your idea of fitting new friction material on old brake shoes is great. Unfortunaltely I would have to go 35 kilometers to get to such a workshop to leave the old brake shoes. Then I'd have to go home and wait for everything to get ready. Then I'd have to go back to pick them up. That would be a 4x35 kilometers... I will keep my old original DDR brake shoes. The day I need new brakes (many years from now) I will try to find a local company that can refurbish them. Right now I am very happy. I can cruise with Wartburg teaching all the Tesla drivers what a real car smells like :D {sehrfreuen}

berlintourist
Über_den_TÜV_Bringer
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): 314 eckfrontcabriokombicoupé

Ungelesener Beitragvon berlintourist » Dienstag 26. Juni 2018, 14:55

AlteSchwede hat geschrieben: I can cruise with Wartburg teaching all the Tesla drivers what a real car smells like :D

{Smoker2}
Wartburg - aus freude am schrauben ...

bic
Abschmiernippel
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): diverse

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Dienstag 26. Juni 2018, 21:07

berlintourist hat geschrieben:
AlteSchwede hat geschrieben: I can cruise with Wartburg teaching all the Tesla drivers what a real car smells like :D

{Smoker2}

Oh, they can smell pretty good too:

Tesla.JPG

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Lieber Old School als gar keine Erziehung.

Zurück zu „Rahmen / Fahrwerk“