Hello from America !

Ein Platz für neu angekommene Foristi und Fahrzeuge. Willkommen im ZWF.

Moderatoren: Putzkolonne, ZWF-Adminis

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): 1985 Wartburg 353W

Hello from America !

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Freitag 31. August 2018, 01:13

Hello everyone!

I am an independent mechanic who owns a small garage in Easton, MD on the east coast. I specialize mostly on air cooled Porsches and VW's. As a result of this I have a wonderful customer who was born in East Germany. He bought himself a 1985 Wartburg 353W and has tasked me with restoring it to usable condition. It is a wonderful example and I am grateful for the opportunity. The body, chassis and electrical systems are in perfect condition, so my task is much easier. I am well versed in older vehicle technology and diagnostics, however the rarity of the Wartburg here and the language barriers have limited my ability to get a few things right with the drivability.

I have been reading the posts here on many subjects. Your enthusiasm here is great!

I have had a hard time with Google translations on technical things like ignition timing and Jikov details. These are my two major hurdles.

So..I am joining in. I hope to get myself some answers as well help some other people with my experiences.

-Kerry

Übersetzung per Translator :

Ich bin ein unabhängiger Mechaniker, der eine kleine Werkstatt in Easton, Maryland auf der Ostküste besitzt. Ich spezialisiere mich größtenteils auf Luft abgekühlt Porsches und VW. Infolge dessen habe ich einen wunderbaren Kunden, der in Ostdeutschland geboren gewesen ist. Er hat sich ein Wartburg von 1985 353W gekauft und hat mich mit der Wiederherstellung davon zum verwendbaren Zustand beschäftigt. Es ist ein wunderbares Beispiel, und ich bin für die Chance dankbar. Der Körper, das Fahrgestell und die elektrischen Systeme sind im vollkommenen Zustand, so ist meine Aufgabe viel leichter. Ich bin in der älteren Fahrzeugtechnologie und Diagnostik gut versiert, jedoch haben die Seltenheit Wartburg hier und die Sprachbarrieren meine Fähigkeit beschränkt, einige Dinge mit dem drivability in Ordnung zu bringen.

Ich habe die Beiträge hier auf vielen Themen gelesen. Ihre Begeisterung hier ist groß!

Ich habe mit Übersetzungen von Google auf technischen Dingen wie Zündentiming und Details von Jikov harte Zeiten gehabt. Das sind meine zwei Haupthürden.

So.. Ich schließe mich an. Ich hoffe, sich zu verschaffen, einige Antworten helfen ebenso einigen anderen Menschen mit meinen Erfahrungen.

WABUFAN

Warre 1000
Frostsicherer Wartbürger
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): Wartburg 353 Limosine Bj. 1968

Re: Hello from America !

Ungelesener Beitragvon Warre 1000 » Freitag 31. August 2018, 19:18

Welcome to ZWF!

There are some Wartburgfriends that can communate at Englich in this Forum. I am not familier with the Jikov-carburetor, but with the ignition I can help.

Herzlich willkommen zu ZWF!

Im diese Forum gibt es Wartburgfreunden, wie Englich schreiben können. Selbst kenne Ich nicht die Jikov-Vergaser, aber Ich könne hilfen mit die Zündung.
Stig
Wenn man alles weiß, hat man sicher etwas missverstanden.

frankyracing
Tastenquäler
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): 311. What else?
353. So what...
Gruppe / Verein: AME - Automobilbau Museum Eisenach

Ungelesener Beitragvon frankyracing » Freitag 31. August 2018, 22:35

Hi Kerry,

great to hear, that some of the cars has taken the long journey... :smile:

If you have any questions, regarding the carbs, engine and so on...feel free to contact me & other people here.

Cheers and have a great weekend between old cars... :shock:

Franky
...fährst Du quer, siehst Du mehr...

www.kurbelwellen-richter.de

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Samstag 1. September 2018, 14:06

Hello and thanks for responding.

As I stated in my introduction the chassis, body, brakes and electrical system are in great shape. The odometer states 39,000 km, which I believe. The owner had taken the carburetor apart to treat a problem that was ignition related. I was able to fix the original problem, clean and reassemble the carburetor. I have it running good enough for test driving and to shake out other hidden issues.

The biggest problem I have is learning how to treat/approach/operate this vehicle. The owner's manual is in Hungarian (I think) and the service manual is in German. I do not speak, read or write either. Furthermore I began this relationship as an American with American thinking and driving habits. The Wartburg has taught me differently!

I have set the ignition point gap properly and set the idle speed/mixture properly. However I would like to be sure that the ignition "timing" is correct so that I can move on to other repairs. Is there a proper way to set the ignition timing and or dwell? Is a timing light useful on this engine? If so, can you explain the procedure and specifications?

Yesterday I learned about the freewheel operation and proper shifting techniques. I discovered that the clutch is damaged and will need replacement. It slips terribly, regardless of adjustment and driving habits. Apparently a previous owner had driven many kilometers with the freewheel in the locked position to overcome this. I am now looking for a friction disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Are these available new?

I greatly appreciate your time with this. If I have not explained myself properly please ask for clarification. -Kerry

bic
Abschmiernippel
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): diverse

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Samstag 1. September 2018, 16:02

Hello Kerry, I'll try to help you a little bit, I hope I succeed:

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:....I have set the ignition point gap properly and set the idle speed/mixture properly. However I would like to be sure that the ignition "timing" is correct so that I can move on to other repairs. Is there a proper way to set the ignition timing and or dwell? Is a timing light useful on this engine? If so, can you explain the procedure and specifications?

Setting the ignition of the Wartburg is easy, only two things have to be set. The first thing is the distance of the contacts of the ignition interrupters and the second thing is the setting of the ignition timing. Of course, the settings for each cylinder must be made individually.

The distance between the contacts of the ignition interrupters is measured with a sheet feeler gauge and should be 0.4mm. Therefore, when the ignition interrupter is most open, it is measured at the highest point of the ignition interrupter cam. Herewith the setting of the closing angle is done.

Abstand.JPG

Thereafter, the ignition timing is set. This should be 3.58 mm, or 22 degrees before the upper reversal point of the piston. This is exactly where the ignition breaker has to open. To set it is best to use a dial gauge, this should be screwed into the thread of the spark plugs. The opening point is checked with a test lamp.
Uhr.JPG

Uhr2.JPG
Quelle: Wartburg-Peter

Does your Wartburg no ignition interrupter but an electronic ignition system, then of course only the time of the ignition must be set.

It is also possible to set the ignition with a stroboscopic lamp. For this purpose, but the markers should be mounted on the pulley itself, the marks of the factory are often inaccurate. For this one uses then also the dial gauge.

Zeiger.JPG

.... I am now looking for a friction disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing. Are these available new?

Yes, this is all still to buy. Unfortunately, in 1985, the design of the clutch was changed, there was a new pressure plate and a new bearing. For example, both variants are available here: click, the difficulty will be finding a seller who ships to the USA.

Is with you only the friction disk defective, then, for example, a disc from the Porsche 356 or Volkswagen fit. The required diameter is 180mm, hub profile is 18.3x20.7mm and the number of teeth is 24. These discs are sure to get in your home.

So, I hope that my writing has helped you a little.
Lieber Old School als gar keine Erziehung.

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Samstag 1. September 2018, 16:28

bic,

Thank you so much! The problem with the clutch appears to be friction rather than mechanical operation. There is no noise, binding or chattering. I have not removed the clutch as yet. The problem could merely be oil ingress or driver abuse. If so, a good cleaning, truing of surfaces and a new friction disc should be all that is needed. Wish me luck.

With regards to the ignition timing; I understand your explanation. I have the equipment to perform both methods. How are the cylinders numbered? I see in your picture that the dial indicator is installed in the cylinder closest to the fan. This is cylinder #1? I am not sure what the previous mechanic was doing with regards to the ignition.

Kerry

frankyracing
Tastenquäler
Mein(e) Fahrzeug(e): 311. What else?
353. So what...
Gruppe / Verein: AME - Automobilbau Museum Eisenach

Ungelesener Beitragvon frankyracing » Samstag 1. September 2018, 16:49

Hi Kerry,

you‘re right, the #1 is the closest to the fan.

The firing order is 1 - 3 - 2 .

Cheers

Frank
...fährst Du quer, siehst Du mehr...

www.kurbelwellen-richter.de

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Samstag 1. September 2018, 17:11

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:.....How are the cylinders numbered? I see in your picture that the dial indicator is installed in the cylinder closest to the fan. This is cylinder #1? I am not sure what the previous mechanic was doing with regards to the ignition.

DIN 73021 states: "The cylinders are designated 1, 2, 3, etc. consecutively in the order in which they are hit by the imaginary reference plane, which is horizontally to the left when viewed from the side opposite the power output If several cylinders are in the reference plane, the cylinder closest to the observer will be numbered 1 and the more distant cylinders the following numbers. " Everything understood? :shock:

Joking aside, the Wartburg engine starts counting from the side of the clutch. The cylinder with the dial gauge in the picture is really the number 1. The sequence of the ignition is 1/3/2.

I wish you good luck with the clutch.

Oh, now Frank was faster!

Warre 1000
Frostsicherer Wartbürger

Ungelesener Beitragvon Warre 1000 » Samstag 1. September 2018, 17:26

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:..... I discovered that the clutch is damaged and will need replacement. It slips terribly, regardless of adjustment and driving habits. Apparently a previous owner had driven many kilometers with the freewheel in the locked position to overcome this.....

A slipping clutch still slips with the freewheel locked. At my car a worn freewheel did not always connect, and then it helped to lock the freewheel. But I believe you are an experienced mechaniker recognicing a slipping clutch and the previous owner did not know what he was doing.
Stig

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Samstag 1. September 2018, 18:15

Warre 1000,

It sounds as if I might be wrong in my diagnosis of the clutch then?

When the freewheel is unlocked the operation of the freewheel seems to disconnect and reconnect with the throttle on and off as it should. The operation is nice and smooth. However, when accelerating more than 1/2 throttle the clutch slips just like any car with a bad clutch.

When the freewheel is locked the clutch does not slip at all. In fact the transmission is hard to shift as if the clutch is never fully disengaged. Reverse gear is impossible to engage unless the engine is turned off when selecting it.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Kerry

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Samstag 1. September 2018, 19:49

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:....When the freewheel is unlocked the operation of the freewheel seems to disconnect and reconnect with the throttle on and off as it should. The operation is nice and smooth. However, when accelerating more than 1/2 throttle the clutch slips just like any car with a bad clutch.

When the freewheel is locked the clutch does not slip at all. In fact the transmission is hard to shift as if the clutch is never fully disengaged. Reverse gear is impossible to engage unless the engine is turned off when selecting it.....

If the "clutch" does not slip when the freewheel is locked, then the clutch is OK and will work even if the freewheel is not locked. The error then causes the freewheel. However, a slip of the freewheel is unusual, usually this fails "digital". This suggests that a wrong oil is filled in the gear, perhaps with a solid lubricant proportion. This would then explain why the transmission is difficult to shift.

It is recommended to first renew the gear oil. Mandatory is an oil SAE 80 EP Gl4, for example this one. It is also helpful to rinse the gearbox with rinsing oil beforehand.

Maybe an oil change already eliminates the problems. Good luck!

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Samstag 1. September 2018, 20:45

bic,

I changed the gear oil first thing to look for damage, even before driving the first time. I found approximately a 1/2 teaspoon of hard, small metal pieces. I have seen worse so I was not overly concerned. I filled the gearbox with Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 Gl-5. It is a relatively thin oil which pours more like a 5w-30 engine oil. Is this wrong? Flushing and refilling the gearbox is quite easy and I will try if you think it is wise.

I sincerely appreciate your effort. I am very excited to return the Wartburg to reliable condition again. I rarely get to work on such unusual vehicles. I get bored with the day to day brake jobs and oil changes. This car is fun!

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Sonntag 2. September 2018, 00:13

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:...I filled the gearbox with Valvoline Synthetic 75w-90 Gl-5. It is a relatively thin oil which pours more like a 5w-30 engine oil. Is this wrong? Flushing and refilling the gearbox is quite easy and I will try if you think it is wise...

Although this is not quite the right oil, this can not lead to the failure of the transmission.

Here are two pictures of the transmission, the red arrows point to the freewheel:

30_8_3_B_00055_020.jpg

Tafel.JPG

As you can see, the freewheel is in the same power flow as the clutch. When the freewheel is locked, then the power flow to the gears of the transmission is uninterrupted. If the car drives properly with locked freewheel and the clutch does not "slip", the clutch is ok.

However, if the freewheel is unlocked, then this separates the power flow whenever the speed of the engine is smaller than the speed of the transmission input shaft - the car rolls without the engine brakes the car. Then accelerate the engine and the speed of the engine is greater than that of the transmission input shaft, then locks the freewheel and the engine pulls the car.

Since the freewheel is a "pinch roller freewheel", this can usually not slip - either this is stuck or not:

Freilauf.JPG

I am therefore surprised that the freewheel at half throttle begins to slip. Either the freewheel is worn or the oil is not right (or was not right). Even if it does not help, it does not hurt to thoroughly rinse the gearbox and fill it with the right oil.

Because of the hard gear change is recommended to check the setting of the clutch. Maybe this does not really separate the power flow. To do this, loosen the clutch Bowden cable so far that the clutch pedal has 2-3cm idle.

I hope you get all the problems solved and that the gearbox is not broken.

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Sonntag 2. September 2018, 16:21

bic,

Those pictures help me understand the operation. Maybe my interpretation of the symptoms is what is wrong. I will re-check everything and test drive the car again. Can the freewheel be locked and unlocked while driving, or is it best to come to a stop first?

I am not with the car today. I will follow up with my results this week. Thanks once again for your time and patience.

Kerry

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Sonntag 2. September 2018, 19:36

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:.... Can the freewheel be locked and unlocked while driving, or is it best to come to a stop first?....

You can also switch the freewheel while driving, this is what it is meant for.

The locking of the freewheel (disengage and release the operating lever forward) while driving may only be done with the gear engaged. Gently accelerate so that the engine pulls.

When unlocking the freewheel (pull up the control lever until it snaps into place), remove the gas a little but do not actuate the clutch. It may happen that the freewheel does not unlock immediately, but only after the next load change.

Warre 1000
Frostsicherer Wartbürger

Ungelesener Beitragvon Warre 1000 » Sonntag 2. September 2018, 22:12

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:....When the freewheel is locked the clutch does not slip at all. In fact the transmission is hard to shift as if the clutch is never fully disengaged. Reverse gear is impossible to engage unless the engine is turned off when selecting it....

While almost impossible to engage reverse gear, the clutch do not disconnect properly. So something is wrong with the clutch or the adjustment of clutch pedal.

I have made mistake adjusting the clutch. The spring outside the gear box holding the clutch actuator level was fooling me. Adjusting almost 1 inch free pedal movement, before some force was felt at the clutch pedal, it was in fact the spring and not the clutch bearing at the clutcht that I felt. You can temporarily remove the spring at clutch actuator level, while adjusting the lenght of the clutch wire and thus free movement of the pedal. Put the spring at place before trying the clutch.

And of course there might be something else with the clutch thats failing.

Why the unlocked or locked freewheel effects the clutch performance I do not understand. A long shot would be lose screws holding motor and gear box together.
Stig

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Montag 3. September 2018, 14:46

I did not know how to lock/unlock the freewheel before. I did this with the car stopped and engine off. I hope I didn't damage anything. However the lever operation was smooth and positive. I have a good understanding of mechanical operation and did not use too much force. From now on I'll follow the proper procedure.

I agree that the clutch fork spring makes the adjustment feeling numb. I will remove it and readjust the clutch pedal properly. An excellent idea! Prior to asking for help I adjusted the cable from one extreme to the other trying to find improvement.

I'm 49 years old and have been working on cars most of my life. I'm pretty good at it. I agree with you guys that this is a mystery. I am missing something to be sure. Together we have gone through many possibilities from oil to adjustments to proper operation. This week I am going to start at the beginning again. I will change the oil to a proper viscosity, adjust the clutch cable to specification and operate the freewheel as bic has instructed. I will come back and report my findings.

Thank you for your help. -Kerry

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Montag 3. September 2018, 16:15

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:....I will come back and report my findings....

We would be happy about that because we are all still learning!

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Dienstag 4. September 2018, 23:22

Today I changed the oil to a high quality EP 80 GL4. I adjusted the clutch to 2.5 cm at the pedal (with the spring detached). The test drive revealed that the freewheel works well but that the clutch is slipping in both positions. I have to replace the clutch friction disc at minimum. Flushing the transmission and using the proper oil made so much of a difference that I could feel it in the shift operation!

I will remove the engine later this week. It looks very straightforward. Do you have any advice here?

bic mentioned the 180mm friction disc from Porsche 356 or 40hp VW Beetle. Because it is a popular disc there are many options; spring center, solid center, high performance. Is there a preference here?

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Mittwoch 5. September 2018, 02:07

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:Today I changed the oil to a high quality EP 80 GL4. I adjusted the clutch to 2.5 cm at the pedal (with the spring detached). The test drive revealed that the freewheel works well but that the clutch is slipping in both positions. I have to replace the clutch friction disc at minimum. Flushing the transmission and using the proper oil made so much of a difference that I could feel it in the shift operation!

This is already a very gratifying result! Then the rest of the problem can still be eliminated.

I will remove the engine later this week. It looks very straightforward. Do you have any advice here?

The disassembly of the engine not only looks easy, this is also easy, something special is not to be considered (a not too weak man can do it alone :smile: ). Of course, the gearbox should be supported so that it does not fall down. If, after installing the engine, there are problems with venting the cooling system, please report. Here are a few "specialties" to consider.

bic mentioned the 180mm friction disc from Porsche 356 or 40hp VW Beetle. Because it is a popular disc there are many options; spring center, solid center, high performance. Is there a preference here?

A friction disc with spring core is recommended. The springs dampen the jerk when the freewheel locks when accelerating the engine. The thickness of the disc should be according to specification manufacturer 9.1 +/- 0.4 mm when new. Please check in any case the hub profile 18,3x20,4-24N.

Warre 1000
Frostsicherer Wartbürger

Ungelesener Beitragvon Warre 1000 » Mittwoch 5. September 2018, 20:24

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:.... of a difference that I could feel it in the shift operation! ....

Good, one step forward!

When you have removed the motor you will see if anything else is needed than the friction disc.

Once in my car the gear box incoming shaft bearing seal was leaking oil. That caused my clutch to slip. As a temporarily solution I made a plastic disc and put it onto the incoming shaft. When rotating this temporary disc trowed the oil out of the incomming shaft before the oil reached the friction disc. But if oil are leaking from the gear box, it is better to replace the sealing and perhaps also the bearing behind the sealing.
Dateianhänge
IMG_0948.JPG
Stig

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Mittwoch 5. September 2018, 22:54

Warre 1000, That disc is ingenious! I could have used this idea many years ago on an old VW.

The engine comes out tomorrow. I am anxious to see what is happening there. There are no unusual noises. The clutch operation seems normal. I am not overly afraid. It just has a lack of grip when I apply the mighty torque of the engine to it. I purchased the best SACHS friction disk option available and I have a machine shop for my use if surfaces need refinishing.

If the transmission input shaft seal is bad, are there available replacements?

I have the engine mostly disconnected aside from the clutch housing bolts. I believe that the entire points housing assembly must be removed to pull the engine far enough forward to clear the transmission. Is this correct?

-Kerry

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Donnerstag 6. September 2018, 01:51

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:If the transmission input shaft seal is bad, are there available replacements?

This is a shaft seal D 24x40x7, number 19 in this picture:

WD.JPG

I have the engine mostly disconnected aside from the clutch housing bolts. I believe that the entire points housing assembly must be removed to pull the engine far enough forward to clear the transmission. Is this correct?

What do you mean by "that the whole points housing assembly must be removed", the front of the car? If yes, then yes:

Front.JPG

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Donnerstag 6. September 2018, 12:53

bic,

No, I meant the ignition assembly at the front of the crankshaft. Now I see that the grill assembly must be removed instead. I'm glad that I asked!

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Donnerstag 6. September 2018, 19:05

I was able to remove the engine with ease. As you can see the three bolts holding the straps in place worked loose. One of these wedged itself under the pressure spring causing uneven and limited clamping force. There is no damage to the transmission shaft and there is no oil in the bell housing.

20180906_114600_1536250653257_resized.jpg
20180906_114600_1536250653257_resized.jpg (89.45 KiB) 764 mal betrachtet

I am tempted to repair this myself. The pressure plates from DANZER are repaired or renewed as well. I don't see why I cannot do the same. Do you have an opinion or advice?

Look at this:

20180906_114418_resized.jpg

Those are not cracks you are seeing. Those are scratches that someone purposely put there. I assume that they were trying to make a rough surface.

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Donnerstag 6. September 2018, 21:09

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:I was able to remove the engine with ease. As you can see the three bolts holding the straps in place worked loose. One of these wedged itself under the pressure spring causing uneven and limited clamping force. There is no damage to the transmission shaft and there is no oil in the bell housing.

I can be wrong, but the clutch does not look like a Wartburg clutch. In the Wartburg coupling with tape drive, the belts are inside. Here are pictures of the original clutch from September 1987:

kup1.JPG
kup2.JPG

This is already a new version, the old version has a "hat" for the release bearing:

Kup3.JPG

The release bearing is "swiveled" on the gearbox of the old version:

Get.JPG

In the new version, the bearing runs on a sleeve:

Get1.JPG

Which version do you have?

I am tempted to repair this myself. The pressure plates from DANZER are repaired or renewed as well. I don't see why I cannot do the same. Do you have an opinion or advice?

Well, a try is worth it, it does not work, the engine is dismantled quickly :shock: . Beautiful is of course a new clutch.

Those are not cracks you are seeing. Those are scratches that someone purposely put there. I assume that they were trying to make a rough surface.

Maybe you can take some material off the flywheel. This measure of a new flywheel:

Kup4.JPG

should be 24,8 +/- 0,3mm. Maybe your new friction disk is thick enough that there is a reserve here. Or take some material from the edge as well.

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Donnerstag 6. September 2018, 21:53

bic,

I have the old style clutch and swivel bearing. My first picture is only half the assembly. The pressure plate completely separated! I have carefully disassembled the pressure plate. It is not damaged exactly. After further investigation I have come to the conclusion that this is a poorly refurbished pressure plate. Instead of rivets, small bolts were used and then peened over for clamping of the straps. The locking tab washers were not bent over to keep the bolts from turning due to vibration. Over time the clutch vibrated apart!

I'll measure the flywheel prior to resurfacing. I will update you with my progress.

Many thanks for staying with me. Your help is appreciated! -Kerry

Kerry Chadderton
Zündkerzenwechsler

Ungelesener Beitragvon Kerry Chadderton » Freitag 7. September 2018, 22:12

I have finished regenerating the pressure plate. It looks good. I just hope it works as well. I chose not to remove all of the scratches on the flywheel as this would needlessly remove a lot of metal. It looks serviceable and the dimensions are right. The friction disc will arrive on Tuesday so I will address some other items on the Wartburg until then.

20180907_151433_1536347712160_resized.jpg

20180907_151414_1536347713490_resized.jpg

Warre 1000
Frostsicherer Wartbürger

Ungelesener Beitragvon Warre 1000 » Freitag 7. September 2018, 22:41

You have find the problem!

I did not understand your picture at first, because I could not believe the pressure plate can come loose. I am still not to old to learn new things.
Stig

bic
Abschmiernippel

Ungelesener Beitragvon bic » Samstag 8. September 2018, 01:36

Kerry Chadderton hat geschrieben:I have finished regenerating the pressure plate. It looks good. I just hope it works as well. I chose not to remove all of the scratches on the flywheel as this would needlessly remove a lot of metal. It looks serviceable and the dimensions are right. The friction disc will arrive on Tuesday so I will address some other items on the Wartburg until then.

This looks very good, I wish you good luck! Please continue to report!

Zurück zu „Neuvorstellungen“